A new job post hints at Apple getting into cryptocurrency payment as it seeks a person with a cryptocurrency background for a new ‘Alternative Payments’ job
Is cryptocurrency payment on the horizon for Apple? The answer may be yes, according to a recently listed job posting. Apple, the world’s largest company is looking to hire a business development manager for its “Alternative Payments” program.
According to a new job opening posted this week, which was first spotted by CoinDesk, Apple is looking to expand its Apple Wallet team with someone experienced in cryptocurrency and other alternative payment solutions.
In a Wednesday job posting, Apple said candidates should have five years or more “working in or with alternative payment providers, such as digital wallets, BNPL [buy now pay later], Fast Payments, cryptocurrency and etc.”
Cryptocurrency is specifically listed in the “key qualifications” of the position. Apple says the person applying to this role should have five or more years of experience working in or with “alternative payment providers, such as digital wallets, BNPL, Fast Payments, cryptocurrency, and etc.”
The person should also have 10 or more years of professional experience, with 6+ years in “business or market development at multiple companies in financial services segments.”
The description for the job further explains:
“The Apple Wallets, Payments, and Commerce (WPC) team is seeking an experienced Business Development Manager to lead Alternative Payments Partnerships. We are looking for a proven professional in global alternative and emerging payment solutions. We need your help forming partnership framework and commercial models, defining implementation paradigms, identifying key players and managing relationships with strategic alternative payment partners. This position will be responsible for the end to end business development, including screening partners, negotiating and closing commercial agreements and launching new programs.”
The cryptocurrency mention in this job listing is what’s attracting the most attention. Nonetheless, it is still interesting to see that Apple is looking to hire someone specifically with cryptocurrency experience.
Below is the detailed job description.
Business Development Manager – Alternative Payments
- 10+ years of professional experience with 6+ years in business or market development at multiple companies in financial services segments.
- 5+ years experience working in or with alternative payment providers, such as digital wallets, BNPL, Fast Payments, cryptocurrency and etc..
- Deep knowledge of the alternative payments ecosystem, understanding the complexities of funds flow, roles/responsibilities for settlement, relevant regulations and industry standards and the wide spectrum of FinTech products.
- Direct experience in structuring partnership deals, negotiating business and technical terms across multiple partners in the payment industry.
- Track records of impactful partnership establishments, management and growth.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills and ability to develop strong working relationships internally and externally.
- Strong ability to influence without authority, sell concepts and actively drive streamlined decision making across partners.
- Self-starter who works optimally in a dynamic environment and is comfortable managing ambiguity while delivering projects to completion with minimal mentorship.
- Develop and execute strategic and tactical plans across many organizational partners. Ability to articulate the broader vision combined with the ability to understand the executional details.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to analyze opportunities from many angles (both quantitative and qualitative) to persuade internal and external decision makers.
- Expertise building business cases around market opportunities and partnerships – including strategy development, market segmentation, competitive analysis, and financial analysis.
- Upbeat and collaborative teammate who feeds off of goal setting and achievement.
- Proficiency with Apple products and applications is highly preferred.