‘No clear evidence coronavirus is transmitted from human-to-human,’ WHO says on January 14
The finger-pointing begins as death toll from coronavirus pandemic surges past 100,000 people. However, the question everyone is asking is: could the coronavirus have been prevented early? Sadly, the answer is probably yes. A study published in March by researchers from the University of Southampton suggested that if Chinese authorities could have prevented 95% of virus cases if it had enacted measures after silenced whistleblower’s warning.
If China had publicly warned and taken Covid-19 seriously 3 weeks earlier, up to 95% of worldwide cases could have been avoided. “If NPIs could have been conducted one week, two weeks, or three weeks earlier in China, cases could have been reduced by 66%, 86%, and 95%, respectively, together with significantly reducing the number of affected areas,” the authors said in their study.
Another story published by South China Morning Post found that the first case of coronavirus happened on November 17, 2019 when a 55 year-old from Hubei province contracted the virus. That was a couple of weeks before Chinese authorities announced the emergence of the new virus. Many experts are now saying that much of the outbreak could have been avoided if China was forthcoming late November.
By December 15, the total number of infections stood at 27 – the first double-digit daily rise was reported on December 17 – and by December 20, the total number of confirmed cases had reached 60. Interviews with whistle-blowers from the medical community suggest Chinese doctors only realized they were dealing with a new disease in late December.
On January 14, the biggest misinformation came from none other than the the reputable World Health Organization(WHO), after the organization posted a tweet on Twitter. The January 14 tweet came less than two months before WHO declared COVID-19 to be a global pandemic. There’s now a growing anger within the U.S. towards the agency’s amplifying of Chinese assertions about coronavirus, some of which were false.
In the tweet, WHO said this: “Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus (2019-nCoV) identified in #Wuhan, #China.”
A new petition filed at Change.org calling for the director-general of the Worldwide Health Organization (WHO) to resign has gone viral, amassing almost one million signatures. WHO boss Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has come under fire over the organization’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The tweet generated reactions with from people on social media with many calling the credibility of the tweet into question. One Twitter said this: “Who are you? We don’t know you now…we don’t trust you …..if you are really capable organization ask China to compensate for every single damn thing happened….@UN again we are asking why China is having permanent membership…this country is dangerous to the world…”
Who are you? We don't know you now…we don't trust you …..if you are really capable organization ask China to compensate for every single damn thing happened….@UN again we are asking why China is having permanent membership…this country is dangerous to the world….
— tuuplessTyre (@HisnameisHie) March 17, 2020