‘Payment status not available’ error message: IRS provided more details (updated April 17, 2020)
On Wednesday, we told you about the error message people received when they tried to find the status of their $1,200 stimulus check on IRS website. Instead of getting the status of their stimulus payments, tax payers were greeted with ‘Payment status not available’ error message on Wednesday.
Late yesterday, IRS updated its website with new reasons for the error message.
The Get My Payment application will return “Payment Status Not Available” for several reasons, including:
- You are required to file a tax return, but:
- We haven’t finished processing your 2019 return
- The application doesn’t yet have your data; we’re working on adding more data to allow more people to use it.
- You don’t usually file a return, and:
- You used Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here but we haven’t processed your entry yet
- You receive an SSA or RRB Form 1099 or SSI or VA benefits; information has not been loaded onto our systems yet for people who don’t normally file a tax return.
- You’re not eligible for a payment (see Eligibility).
We update Get My Payment data once per day, overnight so there is no need to check more often. If you are eligible for a payment and have provided your information either through a recent tax return or the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here application, please check back for updates.