10 things in tech startup you need to know today
Posted On November 10, 2017
Good morning! Here is the startup news you need to know this Friday.
- US Navy cruiser tests new AEGIS baseline 9 combat system. The US Navy’s Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruiser USS Mobile Bay (CG 53) has conducted a live-fire missile exercise off the coast of southern California to test the latest AEGIS baseline 9 combat system.
- Video selfie app Musical.ly acquired for as much as $1 billion by Chinese news app. Musical.ly Inc., the maker of a social-media app popular among teens and tweens, has been acquired by Chinese news and information site Beijing Bytedance Technology Co. for as much as $1 billion.
- Data Science Startup Accern Raises $2.1 Million In Pre-Series A Funding. Accern, a New York-based AI-curated financial news startup has today secured a $2.1 million Pre-Series A funding round led by private investors. The company raised $1.2 million back in May 2017
- Uber loses appeal in UK employment rights case. The $100 billion unicorn startup Uber has lost an appeal against a ruling that its drivers be classified as workers with minimum-wage rights rather than as self-employed.
- In a research breakthrough scientists armed with lasers successfully capture 3D images of neurons “firing” in the brain. M Squared, a laser technology startup has captured the clearest ever images of nerves “firing” in the brain, representing a “huge step forward” in the understanding of disorders like autism, schizophrenia and Parkinson’s Disease.
- Graphene is ready for commercial applications and wearable technology. Cambridge Graphene Centre, a Cambridge UK research company is claiming a revolutionary breakthrough in wearable technology that they say will trigger huge benefits for healthcare and well-being.
- Apple Acquires Nanotech Image Sensor Startup InVisage. Apple is buying InVisage Technologies, a startup that develops solutions to improve imaging capabilities on space-constrained devices, such as smartphones.
- Bye Aerospace, SolAero Technologies Announce Successful Solar Wing Ground Test. The company just announced the successful completion of ground testing of the integrated solar wings on Bye Aerospace’s medium-altitude, long-endurance solar-electric unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) called “StratoAirNet.”
- Alibaba seeks to acquire stake in BigBasket. Chinese e-commerce giant, Alibaba, is seeking the approval of the Competition Commission of India (CCI) for investment in Indian grocery startup, BigBasket.
- Unified Signal to launch first Blockchain Crypto-Wallet for MVNOs and Wireless Carriers. Unified Signal, Inc., a leading developer of cloud based enterprise level SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) solutions startup for the mobile and wireless industry, today announced its strategic partnership with blockchain healthcare data record integrator, BurstIQ